Despite of having the convenience of Internet, Games and full-fledged functionality on your Smartphone, it is still not better than your Dumbphone (if you have one) and Yes, I said it!! Despite of a variety of functionality a Smartphone provides us with, it is still better to go for the so-called Dumbphone if you want to survive.
To anyone who has purchased a smartphone by spending hundreds of $$$ from his account can just imagine, how the things are when the phone was broken or stolen any one way or the other. The Dumbphones have many advantages over the conventional Smartphones as they are Theft-proof, they are rigid, they are more durable and much cheaper in any case.
Well being cheaper and a having bit of sturdiness are not the only reasons why a Dumbphone can be considered over a Smartphone. As a matter of fact, here in India although the Smartphone industry is booming but majority of the people still go for a dumbphone which costs just around $20 or so. One thing in their mind is that “Phones are only for talking” and instead of accepting new technology they are eager to stay on the old one.
Let’s see what are the advantages of having a Dumbphone over a Smartphone
1. No Technical mumbo-jumbo: It’s obvious that a Smartphone will have a variety of functions and for those, who like it simple, a so-called Smartphone will certainly spoil the . A Dumbphone will not have Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and certainly will not be having those luscious memory cards which tend to make your phone more like a personal laptop or somewhat a hard disk which is not that bulky.
2. Fewer dropped calls: Yes! It’s true. Those so-called Dumbphones are less quirky in maintaining your calls due to the less advanced but still reliable tech involved in them as compared to the Smartphones. As NyTimes reported, we are now using our phones for fewer calls but again a phone is a phone if we ask for the basic functionality. Consider a situation where you want to make a phone call and don’t have a signal strong enough to carry on with your call. It would certainly be a disaster because an emergency can easily become a disaster if you don’t or aren’t able to make that important calls. Recent studies have shown that approx 49% of the Smartphone users experience drops in their calls.
3. Lesser Phone Spam: About 29% of Smartphone users claim that they get Spam in the form of text messages and multimedia messages which result in irrelevant balance deductions and an inbox full of crap. The funny stuff is that only 20% of the users which use the Dumbphones claim the same which is a clear indicator of the risks involved.
4. No Slow Downloads: Although the advanced technologies like 3G, 4G and Wi-Fi are available in our closest convenience but still, they are not reliable enough. The network tech which enables us to use 4G on our mobile phones has a high latency and thus the network is not reliable enough and as said before it can prove fatal in certain situations. Slow download is also a thing which makes the list of sacrifices further longer as we go and buy ourselves a Smartphone. Nearly 48% of smartphone users claim that they do not get their promised download speed unless they give up a call to their operator or if they are lucky enough. People expect that giving lots of money to their service operator will solve the problem but this is not the case. Actually with the advancements in the networking era the “Latency” takes on more and more and consequently the downloads become slow. This is not the same for your Wi-Fi networks but Wi-Fi is not available everywhere you go!
5. Good battery life: This is certainly a case for the Smartphone users because the overall battery backup of any mobile device is a considerable factor for the user experience. It is obvious that with more features, that is more sensors and larger screen size, the batteries on the Smartphones will be out in a short span of time as compared to those of the Dumbphones. Inspite of their reduced functionality, the Dumbphones are pretty much capable to run for about 3-4 days without any charging if used moderately but the same is not the case for Smartphones. Their battery wears out considerably fast which makes them a lot reliable as compared to the Dumbphones
Here were the five reasons why, one should switch to a Dumbphone which is certainly not dumb instead of going for a Smartphones. I might have missed something, do let us know in the comments.