Xperia Ray ST18i / ST18a users can install Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean CyanogenMod 10 Custom ROM on their devices. Xperia Ray won’t be getting the official Jelly Bean upgrade for sure as this device has got somewhat old. But that isn’t the end, developer community is there and that’s the only reason I love Android. You can always have the latest iteration of Android running on your device.
This is a Work in Progress ROM and there can be a few bugs, we aren’t aware about them as of now. Your device should be having ClockworkMod Recovery installed because it is required to flash the firmware file on the device.
Make sure that you create a complete data backup before proceeding because if anything goes wrong your device will be completely messed up.
Disclaimer: TechSpooler won’t be held responsible for any damage that is caused due to the usage of this guide, we don’t try each and every procedure on our devices first. Though this is a very unlike event if you follow each and every step given carefully.
- This update applies to Xperia Ray
- Make sure that the battery of the device is 100 percent charged.
- Enable USB Debugging on your Android phone.
- Download Device Drivers for Your Android Device from here.
- Backup SMS / Call Logs, Contacts, APN Settings, WhatsApp Messages, Multimedia Files, and all other important stuff stored on your device. Read Android Backup Guide to take full backup of data stored on your device.
Once you’re done with the checklist and are ready to install the Jelly Bean update, proceed the installation steps that have been given below.
Install CyanogenMod 10 Android 4.1.1 on Xperia Ray
- Download CM10 Package and Gapps, transfer the downloaded zip file to the root of your mobile phone’s SD Card.
- Once the transfer is complete, safely remove your device from your computer.
- Boot your Xperia Ray into Recovery Mode. Repeatedly press Volume Down while turning on your mobile phone, this will take you to recovery mode.
- On recovery menu, select “wipe data/factory reset” and confirm it by selecting “YES” on the next screen asking for confirmation.
- Head to the main recovery screen and select “install zip from SD Card” >> “choose zip from SD Card”, now select the CM10 ROM zip file that we had transferred on the device. Select “YES” on the next screen to confirm the installation of the file.
- Now, head back to the main recovery menu and select “reboot system now”.
Kudos! You have installed CyanogenMod 10 on your Xperia Ray ST18i / ST18a device.