HTC Explorer users can finally update their devices with the stable build of CyanogenMod 9 based on Android ICS 4.0.4. Special thanks to the XDA Developer “sakindia123″ for working hard in creating this ROM and making it available for everyone.
HTC Explorer is a low end device that was launched by HTC targeting the budget segment the device did pretty well, but remained on Android Gingerbread since it was released. But no worries, now you can finally update your device to the Android Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.4.
Since we all know that HTC would not be releasing Android ICS or any newer iteration of Android further for this device, probably due to the low end hardware. We just can’t keep on waiting for them to release a new firmware, it is obvious that they are not going to provide further support for this device.
Below is a list of things that work and things that don’t:
- FM Radio(Use Spirit FM from Play Store)
- Hardware Acceleration(man itz smooth)
What Doesnt Work
- HQ Videos stutter a bit
- Some apps that require root access,refuse to function
We will make use of Android’s recovery to flash the firmware file on the device. Make sure that you create a complete data backup before proceeding because if anything goes wrong your device will be completely messed up.
Disclaimer: TechSpooler won’t be held responsible for any damage that is caused due to the usage of this guide, we don’t try each and every procedure on our devices first. Though this is a very unlike event if you follow each and every step given carefully.
- This update applies to HTC Explorer
- Make sure that the battery of the device is 100 percent charged.
- Enable USB Debugging on your Android phone.
- Download Device Drivers for Your Android Device from here.
- Backup SMS / Call Logs, Contacts, APN Settings, WhatsApp Messages, Multimedia Files, and all other important stuff stored on your device. Read Android Backup Guide to take full backup of data stored on your device.
Once you’re done with the checklist and are ready to install the CM9 Custom ROM, proceed the installation steps that have been given below.
Install CyanogenMod 9 Android 4.0.4 on HTC Explorer
- Download Firmware file and Google Apps. Transfer the downloaded zip file to the root of your mobile phone’s SD Card.
- Once the transfer is complete, safely remove your device from your computer.
- Boot your Huawei Ideos into Recovery Mode. Power on the mobile phone by pressing and holding Volume Down + Power Button, and then select “bootloader” then select recovery. This will boot your device into recovery mode.
- On recovery menu, select “wipe data/factory reset” and confirm it by selecting “YES” on the next screen asking for confirmation.
- Head to the main recovery screen and select “install zip from SD Card” >> “choose zip from SD Card”, now select the CM9 Firmware zip file that we had transferred in the device. Select “YES” on the next screen to confirm the installation of the file.
- [ONLY IF GAPPS FILE]: Flash the Gapps package onto the device.
- Now, head back to the main recovery menu and select “reboot system now”.
Kudos! You have installed CyanogenMod 9 Android 4.0.4 ICS firmware on HTC Explorer.